Thursday, August 02, 2007

35W

First things first: my heart aches for those who died, were injured, or were at all impacted by yesterday's awful tragedy in Minneapolis. My thoughts are with the victims and their families, as well as the emergency workers who are risking their safety to rescue and recover people.

Growing up in Roseville, I had plenty of opportunities to cross the 35W bridge on my way to Minneapolis. I did not like that bridge. When I was a younger driver, I was never thrilled to go over any bridge (an irrational fear, I know), but that particular bridge was bad because the exit I typically took (Washington Avenue) required me to merge to the far right hand lane while driving over the Mississippi. I preferred to stay to the middle lane on bridges so I wouldn't accidentally go off the side (I said this was irrational, didn't I?).

I thought that I was past my fear of bridges until now.

This morning as I drove to work, I had to cross the Minnesota River from Eagan to Bloomington. Even with my exit approaching, I found myself in the inner-most lane -- just like old times! Man, that bridge is longer than I thought! It seemed like it took forever to cross.

I can't begin to imagine what the survivors of this terrible collapse must feel. I truly hope they all get whatever help they need (I see a lot of post-traumatic stress syndrome coming to Minneapolis). May their hearts be calmed and bodies be healed.

No comments: