Monday, September 24, 2007

What do I want to do when I grow up?

Now that I am free to give this a little thought, I have pondered what it really is that I should do with myself (job-wise).

Do I want to return to the world of cube farms, corporate-speak, and pointless meetings? Sure, there are the good points, such as steady income, co-workers, and benefits, but is this what I am meant to do?

Confession - I printed out a job posting for TV and movie extras. Now I am not thinking that I am going to become a star, but it could be fun to hang around a set and act like a (fill-in-the-blank). The odds of being "discovered" are as low as my winning the lottery (especially since I don't buy tickets), but it could be fun being a professional background person. Who knows? Maybe I could get an opportunity to actually say something!

Let's go back to reality. Do I really have the guts to leave the comfort of the corporate world? I would have to change my spending habits... and break away from what I thought I would do for the rest of my working years... could it be done? To be sure, my corporate experience has not been that bad. I enjoyed many aspects of writing, presenting and creating that I have done in my previous work life.

What other possibilities lie outside the corporate box? And do I have the guts to go for it?

2 comments:

Jugglernaut said...

The weather is great here outside the box! Come on out! You don't have to have guts to enjoy it. Just clients. :-)

Kim said...

ummm fyi (tee hee hee):

VOLUNTEERS NEEDED FOR CLINIC PANDEMIC PREPAREDNESS DRILL
Do you or anyone in your family have the urge to be an actor? If you do, we want to hear from you. The (name of former company here) is holding its first ever Pandemic Preparedness Drill at the (name of former company here) Como Clinic on Oct. 13, 2007, from 1 to 3 p.m. and we need a total of 100 adults and children to act as patients. Employees and family members who volunteer will receive instructions and a card outlining their “symptoms and how they should behave” when they arrive at the clinic. From there it will be up to each volunteer to give his or her best performance. Employees who volunteer will receive a certificate of participation, a presentation on family preparedness and an information packet to take home to assist with family emergency preparedness. If you would like to participate, please contact Jill Thrasher before Oct. 1 at 952-883-7191 or email jill.x.thrasher@(name of former company here).com.