Friday, January 11, 2008

The Pass

As I drove to work this morning (Friday), I played one of the CDs I burned when I got my new car last year (before I got my iPod hooked up to my car stereo). One of the songs that started to play was The Pass by Rush -- one of my favorite songs by one of my favorite bands. After the first four notes, I immediately turned off the stereo. The Pass is about suicide, and it's just too soon after Sunday's tragedy to listen to that song.

If there's anything that I would like to come of this, it's more awareness of depression and suicide. I do not know Anthony's story, but I do know that depression is both treatable... and potentially fatal.

Do me a favor? If you know someone who is depressed or has mentioned harming themselves, DO SOMETHING.

Don't know what do to? Check out SAVE - Suicide Awareness Voices of Education at http://www.save.org/.

Better yet, if the person says s/he is going to commit suicide, call 911 before the person succeeds (or even attempts). Just do it!

You have a choice - feel "awkward" about intervening, or feel unbearable guilt and horror if you do nothing... and the person dies.

If you are depressed, see your doctor now. You can get help. There is always hope - trust me on this. There is someone who cares about you... me!

My deepest condolences to Anthony's family and friends. Peace be with us all.

3 comments:

Kim said...

So how are you doing?

Collette said...

I am fine - really. It's not interfering with my life anymore. I may think of him and feel sad, but then I move on.

Kim said...

Just checking in on you... good to know that you are getting past this event.